197 total views, 9 views today
Am I enough? This nagging question can cause us to soul search – but is it the right question? Self analysis helps in accessing our goals, but not in interpretation of all the facts. The trifecta of shame, guilt and fear cause us to be fragmented, resulting in a punctured soul in Jeremiah 2:13.
Today, a popular concept prevails that Robert Bellah calls “expressive individualism” — the belief that identity comes through self-expression, through discovering one’s most authentic desires and being free to be one’s authentic self. This powerful belief has weakened all institutions in society. This sounds good at first, but in the absolute sense, it is flawed thinking.
How we see ourselves directly impacts how we express ourselves. Schedules, relationships and our personal expectations seem to have us wanting more. Experiences and events are not enough – we are made for MORE. An Identity crisis starts as we lose ourselves, to things, people or projects and our latent soul spills over with toxicity on everything, and everyone. This insidious cycle can be diverted! Grace defines us based on what Christ says and not on other inferior measuring lines such as natural reasoning or comparisons.
The nature of grace is extravagant. It is more than what we need – it is a living fountain. As we look at the droplets of water it is an example of a larger source – an abundant reservoir. As we enjoy grace it pours out rest and truth into our heart, soul and mind. What releases this extravagance is agreeing with what GRACE declares about you – this creates a new identity.
The apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 3:5 “Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God.”
Healing comes as we:
- Acknowledge and be transparent with ourselves that we NEED the Lord. This takes the pressure of performing off ourselves, and we draw from the right source.
- As we are spirit filled, we can enjoy being who God made us to be, and not try to be something that we are not.
- This leads us to the TRUE reality that JESUS is enough, and that we are complete IN HIM.
Pilate asked Christ in John 18:38 “What is truth”? This question is a starting point of which filter we will interpret information. In God’s reality HIS TRUTH is totally different then the realm of feelings:
- Jesus Deeply Sees YOU – Jesus sees way into you and loves what He sees. We must let go of our natural discrepancies or self loathing, His eyes are eyes of mercy.
- Jesus Fully Knows YOU – Our new nature is our true self – we no longer need to hide. Loneliness and indifference can be healed.
- Jesus Completely Loves YOU – We are totally accepted and NEVER rejected. This wholeness creates a new identity in Grace. We are everything that Grace declares we are.
This shift from “expressive individualism” to the Grace Identity releases moral and spiritual fulfillment. We are made to enjoy Jesus – not just be His employee.