693 total views, 1 views today
Wouldn’t it be wonderful …
to always have a solution to quickly fuel an optimistic mindset when life’s storms come? Do you need that? Or am I the only one that senses the threat of pessimism during trials?
One day dark skies arrived without warning but it was enough to make me check the weather. Great, another severe thunderstorm warning. I hope we don’t lose power—again. I started sounding pessimistic in my head right away. I jumped into praying for protection while charging devices. Because that’s the most important thing, right? Having a full charge on your phone?
That severe storm turned the fresh spring day into a white whirl. We didn’t lose power but instead, hail came and left like a hurried hit-and-run, and knocked down two massive trees in the backyard. The whole fiasco lasted less than three minutes.
Life’s storms can come with the same fierce intensity, threatening your positive outlook.
When Troubles and Trials Rage
Jesus said there would be trials in this life (John 16:33). It’s how you and I respond to them that makes the difference. Life’s storms can look like:
- Facing that same bully week in and week out
- A dilemma on the job that makes your blood pressure soar
- Tear-filled hours of pain with a broken heart
- That health crisis that sends you to one doctor appointment after another
- A bad day filled with a bucket full of problems
I love the arboreal and agricultural references in the Bible. (Which is ironic since I’m not a green thumb. I have been known to be an unintentional plant murderer.) Some of my favorites are Psalm 1:3, John 15:1-8, and Genesis 8:22. In Psalm 1, we are compared to a tree. When I saw those trees laying on the ground it got me thinking:
You are a tree and a storm of life is raging all around you. The winds of adversity will come. If you don’t want to get flattened, then you need to stay rooted in God’s Word (Colossians 2:7). Life’s storms will either knock you down or cause your roots to go deeper.
They also knock me down to a reclining position. I don’t know about you, but for me, life’s storms wear me out. When I’m overtired, I get grumpy, zombie-like, and I start feeling down. So instead of just taking a nap, let’s allow our roots to go deeper!
Go Deeper with these 7 Verses
- Go deep with trust. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. Psalm 112:7 ESV
- Dig into God’s loyalty. For he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5b ESV
- Feed on God’s faithfulness. Your unfailing love, O LORD, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds. Psalm 36:5 NLT
- Soak up His peace. I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NLT
- Tap into God’s strength. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 ESV
- Go deep with thanksgiving. The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalm 28:7 NLT
- Refresh with praise. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:2-3 ESV
Let’s dig into the soil of the Word of God in adversity. Clinging to Scripture refreshes our focus. Truth washes away negativity. God’s promises fuel an optimistic outlook.
Do you want to know the secret to staying rooted in God’s Word? It’s spending time with God every day. Do you ever struggle with that? Especially in the midst of trials? Would you like some encouragement to stay on track to build a steady habit of meeting with God daily? Sound good? Great! Then stay tuned because soon I’ll be launching my Daily Time with God Challenge—a simple day-by-day habit builder to help you seek God daily and thrive.
Which of those verses in the list do you like best? What other verses do you cling to during life’s storms?
How is God encouraging you today?
- Add your comments below and/or at the Cafe Facebook Page
- Support this ministry . . GIVE HERE !
- Read more at my personal blog where this article first appeared . . GO HERE